Hospital history

Bangkok Christian Hospital Nakhon Pathom was established in 1913 by Dr. and Mrs. Percy Clark

Missionaries from The Churches of Christ, England, considered the first hospital providing modern medical treatment in Nakhon Pathom Province. When it first began, it was called “Rongya”. It was a single-storey wooden building with 4 rooms inside: an examination room, a pharmacy, and an office. Later, the back was expanded to create 4 rooms for inpatients. Two years later, another building was built as the obstetrics department, consisting of a delivery room, a waiting room, and 2 rooms for postpartum patients.

In 1938, Dr. Chen His The, commonly known as “Dr. Jane,” a physician from Shantou, China, took over as hospital director from Dr. and Mrs. Clark who had retired. That year, the hospital built a single-storey, L-shaped concrete building to replace the pharmacy, housing outpatient departments, operating rooms, examination rooms, and inpatient rooms. The hospital changed its name from “Pharmacy” to “Mission Hospital.”

In 1941, World War II broke out. Japanese soldiers fought through Thailand to build a railway to Burma. The railway passed through the northern part of the hospital, close to the hospital’s grounds. The Japanese soldiers then occupied the entire hospital grounds. Dr. and Mrs. Clark, although retired, continued to serve in Nakhon Pathom Province. They were then taken prisoner and imprisoned at Thammasat University with other Westerners. Dr. Sen See Teh and other staff were forced to move out and open a private clinic outside the hospital until the war ended in 1945. The government returned the hospital in November, and the hospital resumed normal operations. Rehabilitation was expedited. In 1948, a new building for the maternity ward was built, funded by Dr. and Mrs. Clark, and dedicated in the name of Mrs. Denley, Mrs. Clark’s father. Later, in 1959, a two-storey reinforced concrete building was constructed, funded by the United Christian Missionaries of America, to house inpatient wards and operating rooms.

Outpatient Building, 1938

Inpatient building, 1959

On December 31, 1973, the United Missionary Society of the Disciples Mission, America, the recipient of the hospital from the Churches of Christ in England, handed it over to the Church of Christ in Thailand. Along with the retirement of Dr. Sen See Teh at the age of 70, and another doctor from Shantou, Dr. Sen Chek Lim, who also retired at the same time, the Church of Christ’s Medical Division appointed Dr. Waropas Utarawuthipong as director on January 1, 1974. Later, the board of directors resolved to change the hospital’s name to “Nakhon Pathom Christian Hospital.”

In 1986, a two-storey reinforced concrete building was constructed to serve as the outpatient department (OPD), replacing the old one-storey building that had been built since 1938. The new building was completed and opened for business in 1987.

In 1996, the hospital’s board chairman, Dr. Bannasit Boon-it, discussed this issue with the board of directors of Bangkok Christian Hospital. Bangkok Christian Hospital then resolved to provide assistance by constructing a five-storey reinforced concrete building equipped with modern medical equipment and complete systems, capable of providing services for outpatients, operating rooms, intensive care units, and three inpatient wards. The total loan from Bangkok Christian Hospital for the new building and during the initial operation was 120,000,000 baht. The “Life With Blessing” building officially opened on August 4, 1998, with Dr. Sermkul Akkarapanyathorn as director, replacing Dr. Waropas Utarawutthiphong, who retired. Due to the financial assistance and personnel from Bangkok Christian Hospital, who took turns working as mentors, the hospital’s name was changed from “Christian Hospital Nakhon Pathom” to “Bangkok Christian Hospital Nakhon Pathom.”

As the number of patients increased, so did the number of staff, including doctors, nurses, and other personnel, most of whom had to work shifts. Accommodation was needed, which was close by and easily accessible. In 2016, the hospital purchased a 560 sq. wah plot of land approximately 200 meters east of the hospital and constructed a 7-storey dormitory building with 98 rooms, called the “Full of Blessing Building.”

Later, in 2019, the hospital purchased land on the west side of the hospital and built a four-storey building named “Thank You LORD” to expand the dialysis unit from 10 beds to 28, expand the physical therapy department, and use it as an office, warehouse, medicine storage, IT system, and on-duty doctor’s quarters.

7-storey dormitory “Full of Blessing”

4-storey building “Thank You LORD”

The hospital has been able to develop its medical care mission to meet standards, provide modern medical equipment, and develop its personnel to be knowledgeable, capable, and happy, as it is today, thanks to the grace and mercy of our Lord. This grace has motivated our staff to be committed to providing service with love and honesty at a fair price, demonstrating God’s love for the people of Nakhon Pathom. They strive at every opportunity to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ to patients, their families, and staff, so that everyone has the opportunity to receive the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ.

For more information, please contact

Address: 173, 25 Makara Rd., Phra Pathom Chedi, Mueang, Nakhon Pathom 73000

Awards and Certifications

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text

No doctors found with the provided IDs.